The enhance the health and well-being of Covington residents.
HUMAN SERVICES FUNDING
The Human Services Department receives funding from several sources.
Human Services Commission: Annually, the Covington Human Services Commission allocates $136,500 from the General Fund to Human Services agencies through an application process. Learn more about the Human Services Commission here.
House Bill 1406: In 2019, the City adopted a new revenue source from HB 1406. It allows us to receive a portion of the State's sales tax to use for acquisition, construction or rehabilitation of affordable housing or facilities providing supportive housing, and for the operation and maintenance costs of affordable or supportive housing. Also, because of our population size, the city can use it for rental assistance. In 2020, Covington City Council allocated 30% to Catholic Community Services and 70% to Vine Maple Place. In 2021, 100% of will go to Vine Maple Place.
House Bill 1590: On Jan. 1, 2021, legislation from HB 1590 goes into effect and the city's 8.6% sales tax will raise to 8.7% in which the new revenue (estimated around $586,000) will be allocated to housing and homelessness needs. Per state law, at least 60% of the funds collected must be applied towards construction of housing or operations and maintenance of such housing. The remaining 40% collected must be spent on the operation, delivery, or evaluation of mental and behavioral health treatment programs and services or housing-related services. Covington's City Council allocated a portion of the funding to the South King Housing and Homelessness Partners (SKHHP). They will be reviewing options for use of the remaining funds before the first funds are received in March 2021.
King County Sexual Abuse Resource Center
Phoenix Academy (drop box)
Renton Clothing Bank
WA Women's Employment and Education (WWEE)
Valley Cities Counseling
Kent Youth and Family Counseling
Teen Link - Suicide Prevention
CRIME VICTIM SERVICES:
YWCA of Seattle/South King County
Wash. State Domestic Violence
Columbia Legal Services
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SERVICES:
DAWN Crisis Line
Washington Council for the Blind
HOMELESS DAY CENTERS:
King County Housing Repair Program
Covington Minor Home Repair
RESPITE / ADULT DAY CARE:
ElderHealth Northwest (South)
*Please note that we only list organizations that the city contracts with, that are city partners, or are city-related or sponsored.