Covington’s Shoreline Master Program Periodic Review & Update
The City of Covington is undertaking a periodic review of its Shoreline Master Program (SMP). The Washington State Shoreline Management Act (SMA) requires that each SMP be reviewed and revised, if needed, on an eight-year schedule established by the State Legislature. This review ensures that the City’s SMP stays current with changes in State laws and rules, remains consistent with Covington’s Comprehensive Plan and regulations, and is responsive to changed circumstances, new information, and improved data.
Covington is updating its SMP to include State mandated regulations adopted since 2011, clarify and better define existing shoreline regulations and processes, as well as, revise the format of the SMP document to made it easier to navigate for the public.
Ways to Get Involved
The city will be holding an open house in the fall to present the draft proposed changes. To stay current with the project please check back to this webpage for upcoming open house and public hearing dates. Public notice of the open house and public hearings will be published in the Covington Reporter and mailed to all property owners located within shoreline jurisdiction in Covington. If you would like to provide written comment, letters may be mailed to:
City of Covington
16720 SE 271st St #100
Covington, WA 98042
Related Documents & Resources:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Participation Plan – SMP Periodic Review and Update
- Information on Covington’s current SMP can be found here: www.covingtonwa.gov/city_departments/communitydevelopment/shorelinemasterplan
- For additional information about the SMP Update please see: ecology.wa.gov/Water-Shorelines/Shoreline-coastal-management/Shoreline-coastal-planning
- Ecology’s Shoreline Master Programs Handbook: fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/SummaryPages/1106010.html